Does home insurance cover water damage?

Most home insurance policies cover water damage if the cause arises suddenly and accidentally. According to the Insurance Information Institute, homeowners insurance can help pay for repairs, for example, if your drywall dries up after your water heater ruptures or if an upper tube explodes and water-saturated the ceiling in below.
Depending on what is damaged, two types of insurance coverage may apply to the homeowner's insurance policy.

Housing coverage

Housing coverage pays for damage to the structure of your home if it is damaged by a covered hazard. So if a pipe suddenly explodes and damages a wall, the housing cover can help pay for repairs.

Personal property coverage

Personal property protection pays for damage to your property when it is damaged by a covered risk. If a broken pipe leads to a computer or a damp shelf, the personal property coverage can help repair or replace damaged items.
Please note that a deductible may apply before your coverage takes effect. Coverage limits may also apply. Read your policy to see the coverage offered by your policy. Your agent can help you tailor your coverage to your needs or answer questions about your policy.


Home insurance can help cover damage caused by leaks if the leak occurs suddenly and accidentally, e.g. B. if a wash hose suddenly breaks or a hose explodes. However, homeowners insurance does not cover damage caused by improper maintenance. So, for example, if damage occurs after you have not repaired a leaking toilet, it is unlikely that the homeowner's insurance will pay for the repairs.


Home insurance does not cover certain types of water damage.

Damage due to unsolved maintenance problems

Although your landlord's insurance will likely help you cover the cost of replacing or repairing a damaged floor if your dishwasher suddenly breaks, coverage usually does not occur if the damage is due to a problem with the appliance. unresolved maintenance, like a continuous leak East near a tap or another tap.

Replace or repair the source of water damage

Most home insurance policies do not cover the source of the water damage. While your policy may also cover the cost of tearing and replacing the damaged floor, you should not expect the cost of replacing your broken dishwasher or washing machine to be covered.

Securing water from a sewer or external drain

In general, you also do not fall under a traditional homeowner policy when the water returns to your home through a sewer or external drain. However, you may be able to purchase additional protection from canals or water to cover damage from this type of event.


Regardless of the source of water, no type of flood damage is covered by standard homeowner guidelines. Floods can be caused, for example, by storms, over-saturated terrain, overflowing, or growing bodies of water such as rivers, ponds, lakes, and oceans. You may be able to purchase separate flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program.
It is important to keep abreast of the maintenance of your home to avoid water damage. However, it is also a good idea to ask your agent what is covered by your home insurance policy and what is not. Be sure to ask if there are additional blankets suitable for your home.